Contemplating a name change.
Months ago I started trying to come up with some potential names for a new blog, one in which I'd write about cycling, maybe details on my own rides plus being a fan of bike racing, both at the local and professional levels. I watch Cyclysm Sundays on Versus, and try to take in as many local racing events as I possibly can. This year I will definitely be at the Twilight Criterium and hopefully the Cascade Classic as well. I haven't yet made it out to PIR or Alpenrose to watch PV racers but I plan on it, and will watch some cross racing in the fall. I'm sure people will attempt to coerce me into racing cross as well but we shall see. First, I'll spectate, because I'm good at that.
So back to the potential names. One observation I've made and realization I've come to recently is that since I joined Portland Velo, I read more cycling blogs, view more bike porn, read more cycling magazines, and watch more racing than ever. I also send & receive a multitude (okay, maybe not THAT many, but a lot) of emails on a daily basis with other cyclists about rides, events, and other bike geeky things. One thing I like about this is that I feel connected to the whole cycling community, which here in Portland is pretty huge and diverse. So I am just a teeny tiny part of it, but hey, I belong. I told my bike mechanic 2 years ago when I bought my first road bike that I was aspiring to be a "real cyclist". I don't know if I'm there yet, but I'm making progress.
Again, I digress. More about my own riding progress later. For now, the names. So anyway I sent an email to a cycling friend today which of course was about rides, and other cyclists, and whatnot. I made the comment "we cyclists are an obsessive bunch, are we not?" So the more I turn that phrase around in my mind, the more it makes sense. I like it. "Cycling Obsessions". It fits. For more reasons than you will probably ever want to know.
Anyway I think it's time for this blog to sit dormant for a while, and maybe just start the new one as a separate one. I don't think anyone will notice.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home