Monday, September 26, 2005

A perfect day...almost


What a great day it was for the first Portland Livestrong ride. I drove to Nike in the dark, waited in the cold, and finally got to roll onto Murray Blvd. around 8:30 am for the 40-mile route around Washington County. I was tempted to do the 70-mile route, but maybe next year. Unfortunately, I didn't even get a glimpse of Lance Armstrong, Bob Roll, Eddy Merckx, or Phil Liggett during the ride or the post-ride festivities. Nike had the event so well organized that apparently I was taking advantage of the free massages offered after the ride when the cycling dignitaries were on stage. I'm determined to do the 70-mile ride, maybe even the 100-mile, next year, and raise a lot more money for the Livestrong Foundation, so save your pennies.

I didn't sctually see Lance, but I thought this would sorta make up for it. I walked around the Lance Armstrong building, which is an amazing facility. It's like a museum, with framed jerseys, huge wall-sized photos of Lance, and cases full of memorabilia like Lance's trophies, newspaper and magazine articles, even jerseys, helmets and shoes from his long career. I may post more pictures in a yahoo photo album soon.

I am amazed at how much fun I am having on the road bike I borrowed from my friend Deborah - it really kicks ass compared to riding my mountain bike. So overall, I'd say my top 10 favorite things about the Livestrong ride were:

1. it was amazingly well organized
2. free food
3. the amazing Nike campus
4. the gorgeous Washington county scenery
5. COWBELL!!
6. people cheering along the route
7. volunteers
8. more free food
9. a free massage!
10. MORE cowbell!

2 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Melinda said...

It doesn't matter if you saw him or not - what's important is that you did it and you met your ride goals. Next year the 70 mile huh? You go girl!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Yano said...

Wow...that's so awesome! I've been debating on buying a new bike - the last one I had was lost by my ex, 10 years ago.

Congrats on the ride! It sounds like it was such a great experience!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home