Slippery when wet
I see people riding bikes in the rain all the time. On Saturday, it wasn't raining while I was out running errands, and it didn't look like it would rain again, though the forecast said "scattered showers". I raced home to get on my bike for a quick ride. Okay, not MY bike, but the road bike I've been riding. As I got to the park about a mile from my house, it started to pour, and I waited for it so stop raining, walking my bike on the paved path. They have conveniently posted signs on all the bridges over Rock Creek stating how dangerous and slippery the wooden bridges are in the rain. Did I notice the signs? No. I rode slowly, as the park is just a shortcut I take to avoid the road construction on Baseline Road. My plan was to ride out by the Hillsboro Airport and then north to Helvetia or West Union. I crossed the long bridge, and at the very end of the bridge as it turns right onto the paved path, the bike just went completely out from under me. I got out from under the bike and noticed I couldn't put weight on my right foot. Ouch! I crawled over to the bike and picked it up, leaning it against the bench, got out my first aid kit and cleaned off my scraped knee. A guy came walking by and asked if I was okay. We talked for a few minutes and he said he had fallen on his bike at this same spot the day before. I managed to limp home, leaning on the bike, and pedaled a ways to get home faster, where I put ice on my ankle and kept it elevated. Yesterday it was more swollen and painful and bruised, so I stayed off it as much as possible, iced it and took it easy. Today it was even more swollen and my foot was like a balloon, so I decided to see my doctor. The x-rays showed a break, so I am going to see an orthopedic specialist tomorrow.

Here are my crutches and my lovely boot, and that's my new Livestrong messenger bag.
How I manage to drive wearing this boot is beyond me. I hope the cast is easier.

3 Comments:
OMG Girlfriend! I can't believe you did that and I'm even more amazed that you were able to get home, on foot/bike. I would've been a crying weenie. Take care of yourself and get well dammit.
p.s. - The bag is SO cool!
Linda! Talk about a high threshold for pain!! Dang!
I hope you get well soon and take it easy!
So was the guy that stopped cute? *wink nudge*
Post a Comment
<< Home