Tuesday, November 01, 2005

what I've learned

I didn't realize getting around on crutches would be such a big deal. Here is what I've learned:

1. patience. Everything takes about twice as long as it used to. It's better to take my time than to rush and risk getting hurt.
2. stay focused. I can't even do something as little as scratch my nose while I'm walking. Walking, especially up & down stairs, requires my full attention.
3. planning. I try to minimize the number of trips up & down the stairs at home, so each time I go either way, I'm thinking about what I need to carry, etc. The same goes for planning a trip in the car.
4. how to adapt. I've adapted to driving with my left foot. It's either that, or rely on others to get me where I need to go. I've gotten used to driving the little scooters at the grocery store.
5. it's okay to ask for help. I'd rather ask than try to do something myself and not be able to do it. I've found that the employees at the store will actually bring my purchases to my car, which saves me a lot of time. Then it takes me a while to unload it when I get home, but then it also prevents me from buying too much stuff.
6. perspective. In the grand scheme of things, who cares if my carpets aren't clean? Things I'm not able to do, I've been able to let go of for the time being.
7. compassion. I'm sure this will be more evident after going to Vegas this weekend and using a wheelchair to get around, but just walking on crutches for the past four weeks has been an eye-opener to me. This is only temporary for me. I can't wait to walk my dogs again.
8. gratitude. I'm fortunate to be able to do so many things when I'm healthy - walk, run, bike, hike, skate, ski, etc. I miss doing things like mowing my lawn, doing yardwork, walking my dogs, shopping, and just walking around because I can. I'm extremely grateful and fortunate to be able to do these things and can't wait until my ankle heals and I can do whatever I want. I won't forget this.
9. independence. It was difficult at first, but I've found that I can take care of myself - buy & cook food, shower & get dressed, drive to work, clean my house, and take care of my dogs. People who become ill or injured and have a partner to care for them are lucky. It would be nice, but not absolutely essential for me, so I've managed.
10. attitude IS important.It's true. A dark mood can affect everything. It's all about my outlook, and it affects how my day goes. Also, I get sick of hearing myself complain, I am sure others do too. So for those of you who have had to endure, thank you. Hopefully, just a few more weeks of this....

1 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger Melinda said...

Glad to see you can look at the silver lining in this. Chin up girl, hopefully it'll only be a few more weeks. Although I am a little bit jealous. I want to ride the cart in the store dammit!

And wheelchair or not Vegas is always fun. Have fun and try not to run anyone over unless they truly deserve it. HA!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home