gratitude list
So of the little minor "speed bump" crappy things that have happened lately, I'm not sure which is the most annoying or troublesome. So to keep my focus on the positive, I've begun the (long overdue) habit of listing things I'm grateful for each night before I go to sleep. Just so I don't forget, I'll start a list here. This list may vary (your mileage may vary). But just so I have the basics down: I'm grateful for my health. I don't feel like I'm 53 most of the time. I'm very grateful that I live in a nice house. It may not be perfect, but it's mine (and the bank's). I'm grateful to have a decent paying job with a very understanding & flexible boss who puts up with a lot of my crap. I'm grateful that I was able to (finally) finish college many years ago, for that experience showed me that persistence pays off. Plus, I promised my dad that I would. And, I can at least say I finished something for once in my life. I'm grateful for my mind, which can be unreliable at times, and other times surprises me with its capacity to remember things, mostly words, numbers, not so much. I'm grateful for a healthy, relatively fit body, which of course could use some improvement, but it's in better shape than a lot of people I see on a daily basis. I'm not perfect, but I'm all I've got. And it's about what you do with what you've got. I'm so grateful for my many friends, who have listened to me for countless hours as I rant, complain, babble and otherwise express my opinions about various things, and my outlook can range from cynical to just plain silly. They accept and love me anyway and I like to make them laugh. I'm grateful for my sister, who knows I'm always there for her no matter what, and is a hero to me for her sacrifices in taking care of our mother. We have a special bond. I'm grateful for my nephew, who has grown up to be quite an intelligent young man, and has made it through some crappy times. I'm grateful for my love of all furry creatures and their ability to sense that I will care for them. Their unconditional love has taught me a lot, and I'll never live without pets. That's it for now.. I reserve the right to update and add to this list at any time in the future.

2 Comments:
I just passed by your blog by chance. It appears to me that you can realize the difference between being thankful and being grateful. These items that you have listed are given to you be God and you should be thankful for all these items. However, gratitude is something different all together. Gratitude is for God and not for items and stuff. Gratitude is for God, who is in control of everything. You are basically grateful because everything here and then is in His hand where is there no one else beside Him. Everything is in the hand of the Merciful and the Compassionate. Gratitude belongs to God, the sustainer of everything, the Merciful , the Compassionate. When this fully settles in your heart then your whole outlook will change. Instead of seeing these items that you listed, which is a very narrow and almost a blind view, you will see everything happening by God in every moment in your everyday life. This is gratitude to God the Lord of everything.
Then you will not see your boss being flexible, but it will be God's kindness at this moment. You will not see that you have a good health, but you will see how God is sustaining you from moment to moment. You will not say I have a nice house or any similar mental comparison, you will simply see that God is sheltering you today in such a restful manner. That is how you can rid yourself from this burden that you are carrying all your life by claiming these things for yourself or claiming to be the owner of these things. The prophet Mohamed may peace and blessing be upon him said, "renouncing the world does not mean that you make what is lawful forbidden or that you give away all the money and properties; renouncing the world is that you be certain in what is in God's hand more than whatever in your hand."
Good Luck. Peace be with you.
I also happened to read your post and I really liked it very much! I think your capacity to appreciate and value simple things or aspects of your life, not to mention people you love,is not so simple and it´s worthy! We usually tend to take some things for granted and it´s not that so, that´s why, in my opinion, it´s very wise of you to make this list and what is more, be ready to update it. Life changes all the time, we human beings are so different! In origen,life experiences, culture, traditions and absolutely nobody has the right to impose "his own truth" on us. Who knows the truth? Who has the truth? People who believe so strongly in God and justifies any experience, reality, joy or grift as God´s will, tend to forget humility, respect for other people´s thoughts, freedom, not to say empathy and understanding! This is not against God, not even close! He must be infinitely much more kind, broad and lovable than these people can even imagine!
It´s been a pleasure! May be I should start making my own list!
Post a Comment
<< Home